Friday, May 10, 2019

A Painting and A Purpose (Epilogue)

So,
 the painting of the Divine Mercy that was unwanted back in the 1970's and early 1980's has now found a home. It is located at the Dominican Sisters of Peace Oxford, Michigan Motherhouse. Hopefully, it will continue to find a home there and, if ever the situation should change, trustingly it will be provided still another suitable home.
Meantime, I thought you might enjoy this bit of an epilogue to the story.
When he gave this painting to me, my Uncle Bill was left with a great big blank spot on the wall directly facing his front door. Needless to say, it was a rather ugly blank spot. After all, this painting had hung there for many a year and, well, you know what happens to a wall when something stays in place for an extended period of time.
Yep!
The rather clear outline created by paint exposed and fading over time. There were evident markings of something now missing.
Uncle Bill had to face that reminder of this newly created empty space.
Finally, he resolved to find something to replace the painting and fill that space. I guess buying some sort of wall decoration was easier than having the place repainted!
Eventually he found his replacement, exactly the right size. He purchased it, took it home and filled that vacant space.
It was only a few weeks later that Uncle Bill was gone from us. I still speculate about how he sensed his final "mission" as having been accomplished. The painting had a home and so he could go Home.
Sometime after the funeral, our family gathered at his condo. It was a Sunday afternoon and along with enjoying a take-out dinner together, we had a sort of rummage sale. Actually, sale is inappropriate. Everyone was invited to rummage around. If you found anything you wanted, mark it.
At the end of that afternoon, items were dispersed. Those with a single marking went to the one who had claimed them. Those with multiple markings went in a sort of drawing.
Everything was available. Anything remaining was headed to the St. Vincent dePaul Society.
The Divine Mercy replacement remained unclaimed!
And I do need to mention here that it was in no way an actual religious image item. Uncle Bill bought it because it was the right size.
And it "spoke" to him.
When I realized that in a sense, I was responsible for the wall "outline" and therefore also responsible for that replacement and when I realized that no one else in our then still rather large family wanted this picture, I claimed it.
It could not go to St. Vincent dePaul!
It went home with me.
And it is still with me.
It hangs today in my apartment on the wall by my front door.
And since I do have a photo of it, I can share it with you now.
Uncle Bill was a golfer.
When he saw this painting, he bought it because he said it depicts every golfer's nightmares!
It's got water,
and rough
and sand!
A Golfer's Nightmares:


RIP
WILLIAM C. KUSIAK
August 25, 2003
Age 87



1 comment:

  1. Thank you Fr. Ron for the epilogue. Great story, and told much in the manner of the great Paul Harvey;

    'And now......you know the rest of the story' :-)

    ReplyDelete

The Book of Bishops - The Maida Era (Retirement)

 Retirement! That time of life was drawing ever closer. Social Security checks were already a monthly regularity. The parish which I was ser...