Tuesday, August 6, 2019

So Very Worth It!

Another funeral today.
Seems like there has been a lot of that going around recently.
This time I was taking part in the funeral of a gentleman whom I have had the honor of knowing for a great many years. I got to know him, his wife and his family in my first pastorate, which goes back to the 1970's, so that is a long time ago.
We got to know one another, stayed in touch over the years, phone calls, letters, notes, visits, and dinners! Good old fashioned Polish dinners!
I will publicly state that I respected that man and, indeed, his entire family.
But this funeral only serves as a backdrop for something that happened today, so powerful, so moving, so rewarding, so very much, I will dare to say, that suggests even a slight touch of heaven!
I mentioned the 1970's.
First pastorate.
Rookie.
But with a parish blessed with many far reaching, far thinking folk who took their Baptism seriously.
He was one of them.
And tapping into a bit of history, the 1970's saw the end of the Vietnam War and countless people fleeing what might be coming and what was already present then. They were fearing and fleeing coming oppression.
Refugees!
So many risking so much for a better, more hopeful life.
Back then even our government was asking various groups, agencies, institutions to find a place for these refugees. Churches were among those being asked to sponsor them.
We heard that call. We sought to respond. We held town hall meetings. We were chosen as a potential host community. We were given a choice - a family of three adult professionals or a mom with six very young children.
The easy choice was there for us. Adults! Professionals! Piece of cake!
Among those speaking for the more difficult, more challenging choice was the man we bid farewell to today. He challenged us to take the more noble, more Christian path.
Our parish sponsored the mom and her six children.
I can still remember the day, standing at the airport debarkation gate, waiting, watching.
And then she emerged, those six little ones huddled about as close as could be next to their mom.
So frightened! So insecure! Yet so trusting.
We welcomed them.
A lot of years have passed since that memorable day.
These "kids" are all grown up now, married, kids of their own, business owners, professionals, even a restaurant owner.
And they were there at the funeral today.
And when the Mass was finished, there they were, all waiting for me. It had been a long time.
They surrounded me. They filled the place with their smiles. They hugged me and embraced me with gestures and greetings and faces of deepest gratitude.
I was merely the pastor of a community that gave them this opportunity and yet, in those moments, I was feeling the power of those who knew the gift they had been given.
The beauty and the power of those moments surrounded by those grateful, joyful one time refugees is something I will not let go of.
In those moments I was called to remember what richness, what blessings we have.
And I experienced the wonder that emerges when we can share what we have with those who do not have.
A slight touch of heaven?
For sure!
For in those moments with which I was blessed today I experienced the truth that true joy comes not from what one has but from what one shares!
And it was a joy rich and full!


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Book of Bishops - The Maida Era (Retirement)

 Retirement! That time of life was drawing ever closer. Social Security checks were already a monthly regularity. The parish which I was ser...