Tuesday, May 28, 2024

The Book of Bishops (Vigneron)

 Yes!

It has been a long time but that time was filled with some other things - like Lent and Ester and an outside engagement and even a bit of cardiac surgery. But now it is time to resume and bring this Book Of Bishops to a close.

And to do that we need give some mention to the current (and outgoing) present Archbishop of Detroit, Allen Vigneron. I list him as "outgoing" not so much for his public persona but rather for the fact that he has now turned Seventy-Five years of age and has been required to submit his letter of intent to retire to the Holy Father. No word has come yet as to when that will actually happen or who will step into the position after him. So currently he is a lame-duck holding down the fort until someone higher up makes a move.

And when I titled this chapter, you will take note, I merely used his last name rather than the full name ad title.

That is because there is very little to tell about tales and experiences with him while he has been Detroit's Archbishop. I retired on July 1, 2008 and he assumed his position early in 2009. During his years, since I was now retired, I tried as much as possible to stay out of his hair.

I had another reason to take a set back.

I knew him long before he began to wear that pointy hat.

Actually, I knew him before an ordained presbyter!

We go backto a time when I was a fresh, still wet behind the ears pastor and he was a student, recently ordained a deacon and now back home in the United Sates after his theology studies in Rome. He was assigned to me for in service training in the year prior to his priestly ordination.

I had, some months earlier, completed my graduate studies in Liturgical Theology at the University of Notre Dame and had been assigned as pastor of St. Clement of Rome Paarish in Romeo, Michigan. I was also serving as advisor/consultant to the Archdiocesan Worship Office, providing workshops and training sessions in the newly released liturgical books. Add to all of that I was serving as adjunct faculty in Liturgical Theology at SS. Cyril and Methodius Seminary grad school in Orchard Lake.

And now I had placed under my wing this brilliant academic, newly minted in Rome, no less. And I had oversight of his final step in the journey to the priesthood.

Long before he was anybody's bishop, Allen Vigneron was deacon with me at Mass at the altar of St. Clement of Rome. Long before he was the chief teacher of the faith in any diocese, he was proclaiming his earliest homilies from the pulpit at St. Clement of Rome.

In all honesty, I hardly knew what pastoring really meant back then. I was still truly learning.

But I was also entrusted with teaching.

And my prime pupil was a young man named Allen Vigneron.

Who knew what lie ahead!

If only . . .

But he went on to get ordained and that actually happened right there in the church building of 

St. Clement of Rome.

And he did spend a bit more time in ministry in parishes.

And he added more years and courses  to his repertoire even returning for more studies in Rome.

Eventually he was added to the faculty of Sacred Heart Seminary where he became Vice-Rector and then Rector, himself now in charge  of the formation of many future priests, deacons and lay ministers.

And from that on to bishop, associate in the Detroit Archdiocese.

But after a brief while he was moving across the country to assume responsibility for his own Diocese in Oakland, California.

And at last, maybe when it was deemed safe since I was now retired, he was brought back to Detroit to serve, as he has and continues for the time, as the Archbishop of Detroit.

I recall a time when I remarked to him, "Do you know how strange it is for me to mention your name when I pray the Eucharistic Prayer?"

To which he replied, "Strange for you? Do you know how strange it is for me to hear my name in the Eucharistic Prayer!"


There are a couple of tales to share . . . soon . . .


1 comment:

The Book of Bishops (The Bishop of . . . )

 It is time to produce the final segment of this Book and to introduce the final Bishop being remembered here. It is time to share some inte...