Thursday, January 9, 2020

That Comment!

My last post on this blog actually elicited a comment!
While it is always possible to comment on any posting and while I do rather hope for someone to post a comment or even invite a "conversation" it does seem that in the last year plus since I have been blogging, comments have been few and far between. Seems like I occasionally get an email or one of those thumbs up icons on Facebook and not much more.
No questions, no comments, no discussions.
But my last post got a comment!
And a surprising one at that.
It came from an old friend and I do hope that I am in no way putting him on the spot with this.
In the late 1960's and early 1970's we sort of hung out together. We were both in the summer liturgical theology program at the University of Notre Dame and in our second last year there we roomed together. We even did a bit of traveling together - late 60's/early 70's style. He had a VW Bug, which got loaded up with camping gear and off we went.
And then he discovered a higher calling whose name is Julie and that calling led to many happy years and parenting and grand parenting and, I would suspect if not already, fairly soon, great-grand-parenting.
Anyhow, he posted a comment.
And it got me thinking and reminiscing.
He mentioned how he fell in love with Rome back in 1963.
Seems my recent writings brought that back to him.
And then his comment brought to my mind - I, too, have had  a sort of love affair with Rome.
Mine may not date quite as far back as his but it is there and it is real.
My first contact with Rome was in 1975.
Since then, as I count, I have been to Rome a dozen times.
Frankly I cannot remember each and every trip clearly and specifically.
Some stand out more vividly than do others.
My recent, end of the year blogging about the 1999/2000 trip is a fine example of some clear and vivid rememberances.
Over the years some details from some of those trips have tended to blur together. Like - did this happen on this trip? or this one?
Ah,, but no matter.
I do have memories.
And they go back with Rome all the way to 1975.
That was our first meeting.
So, since my friend evoked some ancient memories for me, perhaps some blogs are in order to share with you (like, are you really interested?) memories of some of my visits to Rome.
And I just might be inclined to add some other memories - other journeys and there have been a good number of them.
Looking back on some of those journeys and the adventures attached, I also recall something else, some words of advice I eventually began to give to those considering joining me on one of these trips.
I would tell then (warn them?) "If you can't take a little adventure, don't travel with me!"
Anyhow, as we begin to move through the days of this New Year, I am thinking that I just might spend a few of these blogs boring you with some memories of my love affair with Rome and memories of some other adventure in travels as well.
And, please don't forget.
There is that possibility for you to enter into the conversation.
That is the place called, "Comment."
Perhaps you shared some travels with me and you have some memories as well. Perhaps my reflections and recollections will stir some within you. Perhaps you just have an exciting or funny travel story of your own.
Share them!
Let's get some story telling going.
Let's enter 2020 by going on some journeys!

2 comments:

  1. I can remember the trip to Rome that had to be cancelled...for your anyway. Yolanda and I ended up going with a priest and his group, who was from Vermont. It was memorable, but it would have been more so if we had been able to go with you. Oh well, those were the days!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

The Book of Bishops - The Maida Era (Retirement)

 Retirement! That time of life was drawing ever closer. Social Security checks were already a monthly regularity. The parish which I was ser...