Tuesday, December 26, 2023

The Book of Bishops - The Maida Era (Beginnings)

 Let's start this era off by warning that, from here on in, things are nowhere near as interesting or exciting as previous eras. And there are fewer tales to tell.

But I can start things off by relating our very first meeting.

It was interesting and most unusual.

Adam Maida took over the Archdiocese of Detroit while I was on sabbatical, studying over in Rome. I got the word while far from home.

However, as is the usual custom, when such an appointment is made, the newly appointed makes a special trip to Rome to meet with the Pope and, perhaps, spend some time discussing the appointment, expectations, findings and observations, and the like. This was no exception.

Adam Maida was making a journey to Rome.

And on the agenda during his time there, he was including some time for us to meet.

Matter of fact, his invitation involved a fine dinner at one of the nicer restaurants of Rome. Members of the hierarchy are usually quite familiar with places like that.

A couple additional Detroiters, also in Rome for various studies, would be included in the dinner but it would be a rather select, intimate gathering of merely a handful of us.

The evening arrived as did the car sent to pick us up and deliver us to the restaurant.

The meal, traditional Italian of course, was absolutely delightful as was the wine.

Eventually conversation and attention turned to me. 

The new Archbishop of Detroit wanted some advice and he had evidently done his homework. He  knew about my involvement in various projects and activities, most especially at that moment, my involvement in the Convocation of Priests that had been held in 198.

It was the first and only.

In the remaining years of the Szoka Era no additional Convocation had been held.

Now the new Archbishop was asking if I thought we should resume the practice. Is it worthwhile? Does it have possibilities? Should he call another one?

My advice was that it was a good took if handled properly and it had positive possibilities. I was not just strongly in favor of calling a second Convocation but I also offered to help in any way I could to make it happen.

That was the beginning for me of the Maida Era.

The new Archbishop of Detroit had actually sought out advice and from me no less!

Positive impression!

And even more, he took that advice!

Soon after his official beginning as the Archbishop of Detroit he called for a Convocation.

And, sure enough, I got "drafted" into service still again.

Matter of fact, I ended up having "work" to do on several more Convocations through the next ten years or so until, finally, I decided to step aside and make room for someone younger.


Next: The Maida Era continues

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Book of Bishops - The Maida Era (Retirement)

 Retirement! That time of life was drawing ever closer. Social Security checks were already a monthly regularity. The parish which I was ser...