Friday, November 24, 2023

The Book of Bishops - The Szoka Era (Red Buttons)

 There are many other little stories I could tell about happenings in that Szoka Era, little things. Like when he was heading to Rome for his new assignment/ministry and I was soon to be in Rome for my sabbatical studies. I let him know that I expected to be invited to dine with him in his new digs in the Eternal City. "You will squeeze the last drop of juice out of this old orange," was his reply with a smile.

I got the invite, by the way, and enjoyed a fine, traditional Roman Feast!

But the Roman memory can provide one final, grand moment in my relating of the Szoka Era.

Edmund Szoka was soon to depart from Detroit, heading for his new challenge, organizing the finances of the Vatican and eventually serving as the governing head of Vatican City State. There were all sorts of events and festivities marking his Detroit departure.

And in the midst of all of the activities and events a good number of new monsignori were named. It was likely his was of saying, "Thank you" to several clergy who had served him well in his time with us. 

(For those unsure, monsignor is an ecclesiastical title of honor. It holds no special sort of I-got-more-clergy-in-me-than-you-do kind of element. It's just honorary. Such an animal gets to wear red buttons on his cassock (assuming that he even wears a cassock.) He also gets a red tassel on his biretta (if he knows what one of those is.) And he gets to walk a bit further back in line in solemn event processions. And  most importantly of all, it means no pay increase. Strictly an honorary thing! Matter of fact Pope Francis has nearly eliminated this title, restricting it almost exclusively to clergy seventy and older. In other words, it is now a kindly pat on the back before sending one out to pasture.)

Anyhow, long story short - I was not among the number named  as a monsignor upon the Szoka departure.

But it was also around that same time that I got a phone call informing me that I was being given the Farrell Award. That was truly a big news phone call. This particular award provided an all expense paid sabbatical for some three months at the North American College in Rome. I had to cover transportation, getting myself there and then back home again as well as covering any personal expenses. But meals, accommodations, tuition - all would be covered.

Study Time in Rome! Living expenses covered!

Awesome indeed!

It was some days after the naming of the new monsignors and also after that incredible phone call that my path again crossed with Edmund Szoka.

He simply said to me, "I trust you are pleased with your award. I just thought that you would appreciate that more than having some red buttons!"

He knew me and he knew me well.

Weeks of study in Rome! With some of the finest scholars of the Church! And time to wander those Roman streets! And enjoy the pastas and vino!

Yep!

Edmund C. Szoka - you got it right!

You did well!

Who needs those Red Buttons?


Next: The Maida Era!


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Book of Bishops - The Maida Era (Retirement)

 Retirement! That time of life was drawing ever closer. Social Security checks were already a monthly regularity. The parish which I was ser...