Tuesday, November 14, 2023

The Book of Bishops - The Szoka Era (Bar Fight)

 Once upon a time there was a rather established institution in Detroit called Diamond Jim Brady's. It was an old fashioned bar where some of the most amazing hamburgers were served. It was also practically around the corner from the parish where, back then, I was ministering. Somehow, it became a meeting place after hours for some unwinding and processing of the day's events and meetings. In that time I got to know the owners of Brady's and one or the other  would often join us at the table for some animated conversation.

The Brady's were also quite active and involved in the Jesuit Community in Detroit and stayed closely in touch with the University of Detroit and U of D High.

This tale occurred after the decision had been made to close Precious Blood School. It was, as one can imagine, a difficult decision and a difficult time. It also meant that there was the possibility of a sizable vacant building in that part of Detroit.

That is something neither I nor the neighborhood wanted.

I began some work seeking potential occupants for the building. 

And, behold, one was found in Wayne State University. They were considering a possible extension campus program and our site seemed ideal.

Negotiations began and actually moved along quite smoothly. It definitely looked as if the building would not be vacant for any length of time. We were almost ready to sign on the dotted line when that particular evening occurred at Diamond Jim Brady's.

One of the Brady brothers sat down at the table with us. No big surprise there. The surprise came shortly after however.

"So, I hear that the Archdiocese has plans for your school," he announced.

"Say what," came my reply.

"Don't you know?" he asked.

"About what?"

Evidently the plan was for the Archdiocese to acquire the property and turn it over to De Porres High School, a vibrant city institution that, at the time, was functioning on the campus of Sacred Heart Seminary with no campus of its own.

The Precious Blood Campus would soon become theirs!

And that was the first I had heard of it! The word had come to the Brady's from their Jesuit U od D connections.

And that word came to me in a bar!

The next morning I was on the phone with officials Downtown, insisting that I speak with the Archbishop.

Of course there was a delay.

But I did get a call back that afternoon.

The Archbishop would meet with me on this matter - on a Saturday no less! And at his residence!

The moment I was shown into his study, words of apology were pouring forth from the Great Archbishop Edmund Szoka!

This was not the way it should have gone, he was explaining. I really should have been involved earlier. I should not have found out in this way. Definitely not in some bar!

A profound apology that still moves me.

And from that moment I would be included in the process. There would be a meeting of the Consultors of the Archdiocese and I will be present and a concrete offer will be presented to me.

And, please, do not sign any other contract!

The Consultors' meeting took place and an offer was presented to me, a rather good offer. Edmund Szoka looked across the great meeting table at me and declared, "It's a very good offer, Ron, isn't it?"

And I smiled right back at him and informed him, "I will take it back to the Parish Council. After all, it's their parish!"

And the Bar Fight got good!

It almost seemed as if the Archbishop himself would be coming to the Parish Counsel's meeting. Unfortunately, he was leaving to join Pope John Paul II in Poland and, therefore unable to be present. He assigned a high raking Archdiocesan official to represent him instead.

And the Bar Fight really got good.

The official presented the offer to the members of the Parish Counsel.

And without flinching the Council president simply responded with, "Should we tell him to go home now and leave us alone!"

A few moments of silence and then the offer began to get sweetened.

There was room for negotiation and that clearly had the Archbishop's approval.

And the deal got sweeter and sweeter until, finally, the official declared honestly, "That is really the best I can offer you."

But it was now a very good deal and so it was accepted.

And the Archdiocese got its agreement. De Porres High moved into the vacant Precious blood School Campus after almost a year of building renovations and restorations (covered in full by the Archdiocese.)

And Precious Blood Parish became comfortably, fiscally solvent, all facilities utilized.

And the Bar Fight was over!


More is certainly to come!


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Book of Bishops - The Maida Era (Retirement)

 Retirement! That time of life was drawing ever closer. Social Security checks were already a monthly regularity. The parish which I was ser...