Saturday, November 4, 2023

The Book of Bishops - The Szoka Era (Quips)

 Edmund Szoka and I had numerous occasions through the years to exchange a quip or two. I could toss a quick quip right at him and he never even ducked and he knew when to come right back at me. Memory only provides me with a sampling of those exchanges through our years of ministry together.

On one of his visits to Precious Blood, the weather was welcoming and so we vested for Mass in the rectory and then did a small procession outdoors to the church. As I recall, this was in that time when females were not to be serving Mass. Gender restrictions were officially in place.

However, somehow at Precious Blood we managed to find a place for females, fully vested in what really looked like server's garb, to have a place at the Table.

And the day of this particular Szoka visit, one such garbed female, carrying the processional crucifix, was proudly executing her role. A typical teen with a bit too much make-up, hair nicely done up, and clearly, very evidently, a very female server. (Or maybe, taking that particular era into consideration, a mere assistant to the servers.)

Anyhow, she was leading the procession.

And, of course, Edmund Szoka noticed.

He leaned over toward me as the procession emerged from the rectory doorway, and he informed me.

"Did you notice that the crossbearer is a female!"

"I did notice," I responded. "It's rather evident."

And then silence as the procession proceeded.

Fact stated. Fact noted. End of the matter! And the Archbishop of Detroit survived.

I believe it may have been the same occasion that brought about still another moment of discovery for the Archbishop.

It was at the altar, at the entry into our most solemn moments. The Holy, Holy had been sung and the Eucharistic Prayer had begun.

And the People of God remained standing!

Again, this was a time when kneeling was expected.

It may have been "expected," but it was not in our playbook and so the People stood.

And again the Archbishop leaned in my direction and whispered the obvious.

"They are still standing."

"And they will continue to do so," I replied.

"Through the whole Eucharistic Prayer?" he asked.

"Through the whole Eucharistic Prayer," I replied.

And the Archbishop of Detroit launched into the words of the Eucharistic Prayer and the People continued to stand in reverent attention and again the Archbishop of Detroit survived.

And there were numerous other such occasions and exchanges but in all fairness, I need to include at least one of his moments when he got me.

The occasion was a very significant one. The Apostolic Delegate to the United States was visiting Detroit and there was a special gathering at Sacred Heart Seminary.

As that gathering ended, we began making our way down the corridors and to the parking lot. I was calmly walking along when I heard a familiar voice directly behind me.

It was the Archbishop of Detroit walking with the Apostolic Delegate and deeply engaged in conversation. At least that was the case until he noticed me walking directly in front of them.

Then his voice increased in volume, making certain that I could hear his every word.

Edmund Szoka announced to the Apostolic Delegate, that gentleman in front of us, he's our liturgist."

Nice to hear, I have to admit. The recognition was appreciated, still is.

But then came the rest of that story.

"Do you know the difference between a liturgist and a terrorist?" the Archbishop asked the Apostolic Delegate.

And then came the answer, words Edmund Szoka just wanted me to hear.

"At least you can negotiate with a terrorist!"

The Archbishop off Detroit had won that round!


More is certainly to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Book of Bishops - The Maida Era (Retirement)

 Retirement! That time of life was drawing ever closer. Social Security checks were already a monthly regularity. The parish which I was ser...